In what we've read so far, there have been two sections that stood out to me the most. I really enjoyed the section on Ria and her sewing ladies, and their attempt to break into the business. Ria comes off as and unstoppable spitfire, that has a hard work ethic and a lot of commitment. While this cause is not necessarily hers, she takes it on with willing hands and does her best to benefit the workers. This reminds me of Laila in "Bone", always trying to help others. Her feisty attitude towards the business also reminds me of Mary Crow Dog, as she begins to have disregard for what has been done before. Ria is described as an organizer, someone who can facilitate well, which I think speaks for both of the aforementioned women. This may be something to do with their similar experiences in life, but I found it interesting.
Also, I was caught into the section about Stony Ima finding Jack Denny injured and taking him to the hospital. While there are many differences between Stony and Leon, I found a similar story there for them. When Stony goes to Japan not really knowing what he is looking for, he finds the family that is really his, in which his father had left a long time before. It doesn't mention whether he actually stays with them or not, but it alludes to it. I found this similar to Leo's experience because in "Bone" Leo is looking for proof of his citizenship, and just finds a lot of attempts on the way. Stony goes to Japan not really looking for anything, and finds an unexpected family, and unexpected past. Stony receives everything Leo would have wished for.
You understood this so much better than I did. Thanks for the clarification.
ReplyDelete