Kaji's narrative is like poetry. When she reflects on the sea and the rain that surround her it sounds like something out of a graceful poem. I enjoy and slightly don't understand what a water rooster is, but find the idea of a swimming rooster image pretty funny. The story of her 5th grade graduation and the emotional detail about being a shadow behind the fashion merchandising surrounding her life and image, was very well emotional. It reminds me of my baby sister (not a baby anymore now 16). I had three brothers before she was born and so excited to have her. I wanted her to wear girly cloths, love dress up, baby dolls, and everything else I thought a little girl should. She on the other hand wanted nothing to do with it and unlike Kaji, it didn't take until 5th grade for her to let everyone know how she felt about things she didn't like. To this day I can remember the first time she wore jeans, a dress, and finally let me do her makeup. I also remember all the times she rejected baby dolls, even mine.
American Mutt stands out to me not only for his or her identity, but her story of the Chinese/Asian school children surrounding her. I am from a very non cultural town, everyone is white and Catholic. Anyone who is not is a small (like 10 people) who are Jewish, and a select group of boys who transfer in and out of my town from a group home. It must have been so interesting to grow up in a town and not realize until 4th grade why you couldn't be with your friends at a school.I also am a little awe struck that schools would still be separate in this time period. This narrative reminds me of Bone and Mason saying things are Chinese or not Chinese.
No comments:
Post a Comment