Tuesday, February 14, 2012

RE: American Girl

Hello there American Girl!

Your story caught my attention because I had a very similar experience. As a child I was always the last person to have what the "it" thing was. When I do have the "it" thing, it's either a knock off or yesterday's news. It's hard because children have that feeling of wanting to belong. Some take that trait with them even through adulthood. It's human nature. 

I also liked that part about how you tried to explain to your parents that you wanted to grow your hair long, but they disregarded your opinion. As someone mentioned in class, sometimes (or often times) people older than us think that just because we are young, we don't know any better. Adults also fail to consider children's emotions. What adults don't realize--or forget-- is that childhood memories stick with you forever. Bad experiences, no matter how mild, can be especially traumatizing.

Thankfully enough, your parents came around and decided to console you with their own childhood. Children really need to be given perspective. They should not just be told what to do. It is important that they know why things are the way they are.

Over all, very good narrative. It was detailed and well told. Thank you for sharing that with us.

-Bia Roldan

No comments:

Post a Comment